Spontaneous Publishing and Direct ActionImpulsive Activism and Pressed for Knowledge
Both of these workshops are designed to
1. emphasize and model the limited resources and urgent time contraints we work under as activists and scholars
2. stage an action/ produce a publication respectively during the conference
3. build relationships through group work
4. freak us out and start us up
The participants will stage an action/somehow transform the space of the conference during the time span of the workshop session. We will miraculously brainstorm, plan, execute and debrief about an action before the workshop is over.
Pressed For Knowledge:
The participants will create a collaborative publication during the time span of the workshop session. We will miraculously brainstorm, plan, make a publication before the workshop is over. We’ll even have time to debrief! I’ll make enough copies of the publication for us to distribute by the end of the conference.
Time: At least 45 minutes, but as much time as possible.
Space: A classroom would be a good place to start. The Impulsive Activism participants will probably choose to plan in a classroom and move to a more public space for their action.
1. a map of the place
2. a black/white board or easel
Pressed for Knowledge-
1. Random paper products: including the contents of the paper recycling bin, conference programs, brochures and old magazines
2. An easel with markers, or a black/white board